1. The Diamond - if you couldn't figure this out you might be living under a rock. The diamond is the most popular gemstone in the world. This colorless gem sparkles, dazzles and even comes in various colors. If the traditional clear colorless is not your thing, try blue, yellow or the rarest red. It typically accompanies other gemstones and pieces of jewelry and is the most popular gemstone in a ring when proposing marriage. You can always also wear round cut diamond stud earrings. Diamonds are also used for industrial purposes such as drill bits. (read the article - Diamonds)
2. The Ruby - there was a close tie between the Sapphire and Ruby but the magnificent Ruby takes the number two spot on the top five list. Red is a strong vibrant color so no wonder it's a popular gem. The Ruby represents love and passion and rubies are actually sapphires. They are just a different color but they come from the same mineral corundum. Ruby shall prestige in class.
3. The Sapphire - the third most popular gemstone is a beautiful blue gemstone known as a sapphire. They do come in different colors but blue is the most popular among celebrities. Who can forget the beautiful sapphire engagement ring that Princess Diana wore and is now worn by Kate Middleton.
4. The Emerald - emeralds are rich, dark green in color and a favorite among royalty and celebrities. Did you know that Seattle was once called the Emerald City because of all the green forests? Green is the sign of spring and Egyptians believed that emeralds represented rebirth and fertility. Also John F. Kennedy proposed to Jackie with a very unique emerald and diamond engagement ring. Emeralds and diamonds look stunning together.
5. The Amethyst - last but not least in number five in our top five-gemstone list is the amethyst. What is not to love about this mysterious deep color of purple, which is the most common color of the amethyst? The stone represents deep love, happiness and wealth and once was considered more precious than the diamond.